If I test negative at seven weeks, are the odds good that I'm HIV-negative?

If i test negative for hiv at 7 weeks and 3 days is it a good chance? How long do you have to wait for a 100% accurate test?
I am glad to hear that your HIV test was negative seven weeks after the potential exposure you are worried about. The way that these HIV tests usually work is that they test for the presence of antibodies in your blood stream that your body makes when it encounters the infection. Since these antibodies take a while to produce, the test will not be immediately positive in a case of becoming exposed to HIV. In most people, the test will be positive with 2-3 months after an exposure if you are infected. However, in some people, the antibody test might not be positive until more than 6 months after becoming exposed. For this reason, even though having a negative test at 7 weeks is great news, it is not a sure thing that you have not become infected and, if there is a high level of concern, your primary care doctor might want to repeat the test in a few months just to make sure. Also, no test is perfect at picking up HIV infection, and so there is no way to ever be 100% sure. This is a great issue to discuss with your primary care doctor. He or she can answer your questions about this issue and about the specific type of exposure you had. Please set up an appointment soon.