Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why is sex painful since my hysterectomy?

I had a total hysterectomy 10 years ago due to bladder and rectal prolapse. since the operation sex has been painful so I quit having sex until recently. Sex is much more painful now, especially during entry. Can I be fixed so sex would once again be pleasant?
I am very sorry to hear that you are having such persistent problems with sexual activity. I would like to know whether or not you have talked to your doctor about this issue, because if not that would be the first place that I would start. If possible, I would go back to the primary OB GYN doctor who was taking care of you over the last several years, especially if they were the doctor who originally performed the surgery. There are a number of reasons that sex after a hysterectomy might be painful. For example, scarring can occur in the abdomen or in the vagina after a hysterectomy, and this might be the cause. Additionally, it might be that the bladder or rectal prolapse is persistent, and these might be at the root of the problem. Your doctor should be able to sort out these possibilities with a quick examination. It is also possible that the discomfort is related to another problem. For example, after menopause, the lining of the vagina becomes thinner, drier, and more fragile. This could lead to considerable discomfort with sex. Start by making an appointment with your doctor when you next have some free time!