Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How do you treat water blisters on the hands?"

ZocdocAnswersHow do you treat water blisters on the hands?


The waters blisters thats I have on my hands also itch.


I would definitely suggest making a visit to your primary care doctor to discuss this issue. They should be able to formally diagnose what is going on and help suggest an appropriate treatment. Based on what you are describing, I think that the most likely cause of your symptoms is something called dyshidrotic eczema. This is a condition in which tiny water blisters form under the skin of the palms of the hand, sometimes coalescing into red, itching, and peeling areas. There are other conditions that could also cause these symptoms, including contact dermatitis or a skin allergy. Regardless, all three of these conditions would be treated in mostly similar ways. These would include good skin care (avoiding hot soap and water, avoiding strong chemicals), frequent hand moisturizing and, most likely, a prescription strength steroid cream to reduce the itching and inflammation. Your primary care doctor will be able to take a close look at the involved areas of skin and confirm the diagnosis. If they decide that you need a prescription for a steroid cream, they will be able to provide that for you. Alternatively, if you have a dermatologist, you could schedule an appointment with them instead of your primary care doctor. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.