ZocdocAnswersWhy am I feeling such a horrible pain in my stomach?

Question

Why am I feeling such a horrible pain in my stomach?

I am 4 1/2 months pregnant and today shortly after I've eaten, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. My vision became blurred and felt as if I was going to faint. The pain was a 10 and lasted a few minutes. What is wrong with me?

Answer

I would strongly recommend that you go to see your OB GYN doctor about this issue right away. Any serious pain during pregnancy needs to be evaluated immediately. There are multiple different potential causes of your pain. For example, this could be related to gall stones, which commonly cause pain that is located to the upper abdomen and can be associated with eating. They are very common in pregnancy. It is also possible that this is related to acid reflux (heartburn) which causes similar symptoms, sharp or burning pain localized to the upper abdomen. If, on the other hand, the pain was located lower in the abdomen, then there are additional potential causes as well, such as a twisted ovary, intestinal gas, and appendicitis, among others. Additionally, if you have had any vaginal spotting or bleeding at all, that would be very concerning for a pregnancy complication. In short, start by seeing your regular OB GYN doctor as soon as possible. They will be able to perform an examination and determine whether there is anything serious going on. They may want to perform additional testing, especially an ultrasound or some basic bloodwork, to help with this assessment.