ZocdocAnswersMy head hurts. Why?

Question

My head hurts. Why?

my head pounds and sometimes has stabbing pain on the back right small spot near the neck. I have been taking advil for awhile and some say i have overdosed but it really hurts

Answer

I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. Any persistent severe headache like this really needs to be checked out by your doctor to make sure there is nothing serious going on and also to help figure out what treatment might relieve your pain. There are several different types of headaches that your doctor will consider. These include tension headaches and migraine headaches. Additionally, there is a type of headache known as analgesic headache, which is caused by taking large doses of Advil and other similar medications for a prolonged period of time. Additionally, since you have a lot of pain in the back of your neck, it will be important to rule out arthritis or another problem in your spine as a cause of the pain. Rarely, headaches can be a sign of a very serious problem such as a brain tumor. Make sure to mention to your doctor if you have any other symptoms, such as visual disturbances, nausea, dizziness , or vomiting. After a thorough examination, your doctor will help you decide whether or not you need additional testing, such as imaging studies or bloodwork. Make a doctor appointment right away!