ZocdocAnswersWhy do my knees hurt when I bend to pick something up?

Question

Why do my knees hurt when I bend to pick something up?

I am 13, and this has been happening for about a month and a half, it sometimes hurts but other times it stops, but now its getting worst.

Answer

I recommend that you ask your parents to take you to see your pediatrician. Any time that knee pain goes on like this for several weeks without resolving, it should be checked out by your doctor. Your doctor can examine the knee and help figure out what, if anything, is going on. When you go to your doctor, make sure to mention to them any sports injuries, falls, or other things that might have been associated with the onset of your pain. Also, mention if you have noticed any swelling or redness of the knee, and mention if you notice anything else that makes the pain worse (for example, walking versus sitting). There are several different cause of knee pain that your doctor will consider. For example, a condition called "runner's knee" (or patellofemoral syndrome) is very common. Other common causes of knee pain in your age group include tendonitis and Osgood Schlatter syndrome. Based on what your doctor discovers, they will be able to help decide whether or not you need any additional workup, such as x-rays of your knee. They will also be able to recommend which medications you might take to relieve the pain. Good luck!