ZocdocAnswersCan my body fuction normal with just a piece of ovary?

Question

Can my body fuction normal with just a piece of ovary?

right ovary removed left ovary only a piece left

Answer

Sorry to hear that you had to have this surgery! When it is necessary to remove ovarian tissue, your OB GYN surgeon will typically try to preserve at least some part of at least one ovary. It sounds like this was done in your case. The reason for this, obviously, is that the ovary produces the essential female hormones which are involved in regulating ovulation and the menstrual cycle and which also have other important effects, such as promoting good bone health. Generally speaking, as long as some ovarian tissue is left, this will be enough to continue to produce necessary quantities of hormones. However, sometimes the blood supply to the remaining ovarian tissue can be disturbed after surgery. This can lead to low levels of hormones, provoking symptoms of menopause. You should make a followup appointment and continue to followup very closely with your OB GYN doctor, who will watch for this problem. If it does develop, they will give you advice on what to do. In the meantime, you should make sure to mention to your doctor right away if you develop any symptoms such as night sweats, hot flashes, or irregular periods, as these could be the symptoms of low hormone levels.