Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can you take hydrocodone for pain and Aleve for a fractured nose?"

ZocdocAnswersCan you take hydrocodone for pain and Aleve for a fractured nose?


Swelling in face nose, eye, cheek, Hit in face with mud rockball.


I am very sorry to hear that you had this accident! It sounds like it is quite painful and definitely needs to be treated. However, if you have not gone to see your doctor about this (not clear from your question), then that would be the first step. It is absolutely essential to have facial injuries like this evaluated carefully by a doctor. This is because it is important to rule out significant facial bone fractures that might require emergency intervention. Once these serious injuries have been ruled out, then your doctor can definitely suggest medications for pain. Among the many medications that could be used in this situation, both Aleve and Hydrocodone are good medications for pain and swelling. They should be taken as prescribed by your doctor. Your doctor can also help you figure out what followup is needed. At a minimum, they will likely want to see you back in a week or so to make sure the pain and swelling are getting better. Also, if you do have a nose fracture, that might need some additional followup, with a plastic surgery doctor for example, depending on whether or not there is significant deformity of the nose from the injury. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.