Cluster of moles/black dots appearing in vaginal area?

They are on inner lip next to the clitoris. I didn't noticed till I shaved. I went to a doctor and they said it wasn't an STI or cancer. The gynecologist wants to get it checked out it with a microscope later. Till I get my next doctor's appointment, anyone out there know anything about black dots that appear in the vaginal area?
Moles are small collections of specialized pigment cells, called melanocytes, under the skin. All of us have several moles, and they are almost always benign. They can occur anywhere on the skin, including the genitals like you describe. Rarely, moles may transform into a serious form of skin cancer called melanoma. For this reason, it is important to have any new moles or changing moles checked out by a doctor, either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist. In general, the characteristics of a mole that makes it more likely to be worrisome for cancer include: 1. Size greater than about the head of a pencil eraser; 2. Irregular borders or asymmetric look to the mole; 3. Variable color of the mole; 4. Raised elevation of the mole. I would suggest that you follow back up with your OB GYN doctor, or another primary care doctor, as you are already planning to do. They can take a close look at the moles that you have to make sure that they do not exhibit any of these worrisome characteristics. If so, they may refer you for a biopsy to rule out a skin cancer. Schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience!

• Dr. Nabil Salib
    Dr. Nabil Salib MD
    11620 Queens Blvd
    Forest Hills, NY 11375
  • Dr. Warren Lyons
    Dr. Warren Lyons MD
    380 88th Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11209
  • Dr. Parnian Zandieh
    Dr. Parnian Zandieh MD
    160 East 32nd Street
    New York, NY 10016

• Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723