Sometimes I wake up and I can't see or hear - what's wrong with me?

this has happened to me twice once when I was camping and a few days ago at home when I woke up I could not see or hear it scares me and I'm only a 13 year old girl what is wrong with me ?
The first thing I would do is ask your parents to take you to see your pediatrician. Your pediatrician is the doctor who knows you best, and they can evaluate you for the presence of any serious medical conditions. The most likely cause of your symptoms is something called sleep paralysis, which is a relatively common condition in which a person wakes up before the brain's sleep mechanism becoming fully disengaged. This can lead to a very unpleasant sensation where someone is awake but cannot move the body. There may also be other symptoms, such as the ones that you describe. Mild intermittent cases of sleep paralysis do not need treatment. However, if this becomes a recurrent issue, it definitely should be evaluated. Often, worsening sleep paralysis is associated with certain lifestyle factors, like sleep deprivation. It may also be associated with various medical conditions, including seizures and narcolepsy. Your pediatrician will be able to perform a complete physical examination. Based on what they find, they will be able to help decide whether any treatment is needed or whether any additional workup or visit with a specialist doctor, such as a neurologist or sleep doctor, is needed. Good luck!

Nearby Pediatricians

• Dr. Martin Cahn
    Dr. Martin Cahn MD
    Pediatrician
    3601 Fremont Avenue North
    Seattle, WA 98103
  • Dr. Reena Koshy
    Dr. Reena Koshy MD, MPH
    Pediatrician
    4464 Fremont Ave. N.
    Seattle, WA 98103
  • Dr. Naomi Busch
    Dr. Naomi Busch MD
    Pediatrician
    6800 E Green Lake Way N
    Seattle, WA 98115

Other Pediatricians