ZocdocAnswersWhat causes headache, hearing loss, and coughed up blood?

Question

What causes headache, hearing loss, and coughed up blood?

pt 15 female, suffering from headaches, hearing loss, nasal congestion, and coughed up blood (once). What is the diagnosis?

Answer

First of all, it is important to remember that a formal diagnosis requires a visit with your doctor and a physical examination. It is not possible to achieve a diagnosis over the internet, and so the best that I can do is give you some pointers and suggestions. I recommend that you followup with your primary care doctor or your pediatrician to get to the bottom of what might be going on. I would say that the combination of headache, hearing loss, nasal congestion, and coughed up blood is most likely caused by either a upper respiratory tract infection, chronic sinus congestion, or nasal allergies. All of these conditions lead to plugging up of the tubes that drain the ears, which can lead to some ear stuffiness or trouble with hearing. Also, congestion of the sinuses occurs in all three of these conditions, and this can lead to headache. Many people with respiratory infections or nasal allergies will also have inflammation in the lining of the nasal passages, which can lead to periodic nosebleeds. If this is what is going on in your case, your doctor will be able to confirm it. They will also be able to recommend what the treatments might be to get you feeling better!