Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do about not getting my period?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about not getting my period?


I am 25 years old and have had my period about only a dozen times. I got my first period when I was in 9th grade and was put on birth control right away after, which was regular with the birth control. I was diagnosed with cancer right before 10th grade started and my period was irregular after. I got my period about 6 times within 2 years and then I went into the doctor when I was 21 to see what was going on. They took some blood and said everything was working normal and gave me a pill to take for ten consecutive days to induce it which it did. However, I didn't get my period after. They then put me on birth control to try to get it regular and it came the first month but the side effects from the birth control wasn't my cup of tea so I stopped using it and haven't gotten a period since then and its now almost 4 years later. Do you know what the cause could be?


I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor or, perhaps, an endocrine specialist about this issue. The fact that you took some pills to induce your period but that it didn't work is highly suggestive of a deficiency in estrogen. Based on what you have said, I think the first thing to sort out with your doctor is what treatment you had for cancer when you were in the 10th grade. Many of the chemotherapy medications that are used to treat common childhood cancer can cause permanent damage to the ovaries later in life, such that they do not produce the normal levels of estrogen that they should. Therefore, the first thing that your doctor will likely want to do is perform some additional testing, probably an ultrasound of the reproductive organs and also some basic blood work, to investigate for the possibility of low ovarian functioning. If this ends up being the diagnosis, your doctor will be able to discuss with you what this means and what treatments will be needed in the future. Additionally, survivors of childhood cancer need close followup with their doctors in general,as there are a number of other health issues that can arise, and your doctor should address these with you as well. Good luck!

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.