ZocdocAnswersWhat do I do for the pain from my lymph nodes from cellulitis?

Question

What do I do for the pain from my lymph nodes from cellulitis?

I had recently pierced my nipples and then at the Er was diagnosed with cellulitis in my left breast, the Er gave me an IV of antibiotics some pain medication and sent me home with a prescription for the same. But now my lymph nodes in my groin area are irritated and causing a lot of pain. What do I do for the pain? Should I go back to the ER?

Answer

I would definitely recommend going back to the emergency room about this, or seeing your regular doctor right away. Lymph nodes, as you probably know, are an important part of the body's immune defense mechanisms. In each region of the body, there are lymph nodes that help to trap and fight off infections. When they do this, they tend to become enlarged and potentially painful. With a breast cellulitis, you would expect the lymph nodes in your armpit to become involved. However, the lymph nodes in your groin should not be involved in fighting off an infection in your breast. This is the reason that I think you should either go back to the emergency room or talk to your primary care doctor as soon as possible. The fact that these lymph nodes are inflamed and painful suggests to me that the infection is potentially spreading, which would be worrisome. Other things that you would want to look out for would be any fever or increasing areas of redness on the skin. Regardless, go see a doctor right away! They will be able to help figure out if the infection is getting under control or not, and what you need to do next.