ZocdocAnswersWhy is my face tingling?

Question

Why is my face tingling?

Around my nose its tingling, sometime up the side of my face. what's happening?

Answer

Tingling in the face can be caused by several different medical conditions. It is important, especially if the symptoms persist, to see your primary care doctor, who will be able to perform a physical examination and help figure out what might be going on. The simplest and most common cause of this type of facial tingling is probably simple fatigue, which can cause twitching or strange sensations in the muscles of the face or in other parts of the body. For example, if you notice that the symptoms are much worse when you are stressed out or when you have not slept, then this could be what is going on. Occasionally, tinging can be a sign of an imbalance in certain chemicals in your blood, such as calcium. This is something that your doctor can rule out with some basic blood work. Also, tingling in the face, especially on the side of the face close to the angle of the jaw, can be from sensitivity or inflammation in the salivary glands. This tends to be more prominent after eating acidic or sour foods. Start by seeing your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience, and they can help your figure things out.