ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel bloated today?

Question

Why do I feel bloated today?

I went to bed on a empty stomach last night. Had 1 pop tart for breakfast the following morning and my stomach looks like I ate a full course meal. And its prutruding.

Answer

There are several different reasons to feel bloated. Most of the time, bloating is due to an accumulation of gas in the intestines, and this can occur due to physical inactivity or from ingesting certain foods that are associated with gas production. In these cases, most of the time resuming a regular diet and increasing your physical activity will take care of the problem. Sometimes, however, bloating can be a sign of a real medical problem, especially if it is persistent. If the symptoms do not resolve, then you should definitely see your primary care doctor, who can evaluate you for a range of intestinal conditions such as celiac disease, lactose intolerance, constipation, or food allergies. If one of these conditions is discovered, they can give you advice about how best to treat it. Additionally, if you have other concerning symptoms, especially fever or abdominal pain or vomiting, then your symptoms may be a sign of an emergency condition, such as appendicitis. For this reason, if you have these serious symptoms, you should seek immediate medical evaluation, either from your primary care doctor or, if you cannot get in for an urgent evaluation, by going to an emergency room. Good luck!