ZocdocAnswersDizzy for years - why?

Question

Dizzy for years - why?

46 yr female. This is progressing getting worst. BP usually 100/58. Not diabetic just had echo stress test and holter monitor all normal except for rare pvc. This has caused me to become agoraphobic

Answer

I am very sorry to hear that you are having such trouble with dizziness and that you haven't been able to figure out exactly what is going on. Unfortunately, dizziness can sometimes be a very difficult medical symptom to sort out. Of course, the first thing that your doctors have done is tried to rule out the more serious causes of dizziness, which are related to your heart. The fact that you have had a normal echo, normal stress test, and normal Holter monitor are all very reassuring that your heart is healthy! Now that heart issues are off the table, I would suggest that you go back to see your primary care doctor, or which ever other doctor is coordinating your care for this problem. I say this because the next steps will include investigating other potential cause of the dizziness, which include trouble with your inner ear, medication side effects, and trouble with your autonomic nervous system. Your doctor will be able to review all of your current symptoms and your past medical workup and make recommendations about which tests need to be performed next. They may wish as well to refer you to additional specialists, such as a neurologist or an ENT doctor.