ZocdocAnswersWhat tests should I take for pectus excavatum?

Question

What tests should I take for pectus excavatum?

I'm a 20 year old male that is 6'1 and 152lbs 5% body fat and a freakishly fast metabolism. I get a lot of head-rushes, feel my heart begin to race for no apparent reason, have felt sharp pains in my chest, have a arrhythmia, have poor stamina that when I push my self in exercise get the feeling of my lungs being stabbed as if they cannot fully expand and I also sleep a lot (12+ hours to feel refreshed) and get tired a lot fast.. I started going to the gym too and in one session that was doing arms my skin turned a darkish purple blue. Ive only noticed this once before when I was at a water park on a 100 degree day and was shivering and purple. Oh I also always have deep purple like cirlces around my eyes, not really sure if thats related. So far I have had an blood test, EKG and an electrocardiogram with good results for blood, no calls about cardio. My question is would it be recommended to ask for the "tilt test"? and is there other tests I should possibly ask for?

Answer

Your question has a lot of different things in it that are thrown together, and it is unclear what the main problem is. For example, it sounds like you are underweight, but it is not clear if you are losing weight or what your appetite is like. Similarly, you have symptoms of dizziness or of palpitations, but it sounds like your heart workup so far has been normal. Also, it seems like you are fatigued all the time, as it is not normal to sleep more than 12 hours per day. It is quite likely that all of these symptoms are not necessarily caused by a single problem. For this reasons, I think you really need to take a step back and have a good long talk with your primary care doctor. They will be able to perform a thorough physical examination and get a better understanding of what your symptoms are like. Based on what they find, they can make recommendations about what testing might be necessary. I would start with this appointment, rather than searching for tests on the internet, which often can lead you down false trails. Tests like the tilt table test, for instance, should be taken under the instructions and supervision of your doctor. Good luck!