I jammed my middle finger six months ago, so why is it still swollen and bending towards my index finger?

I did it during football one of my teamates slamed their hand down on it when i was throwing the ball. he hit it hard enough that it burised the palm of his hand for about two weeks.
I am very sorry to hear that you had such a severe finger injury and that it is still giving you trouble even after six months. If you have not talked to your primary care doctor, that would be a good place to start. They can examine your finger for signs of proper healing and help you decide whether anything needs to be done. For example, if there is significant deformity, your primary care doctor might decide that you need to be evaluated by an orthopedic hand doctor. A "jammed" finger is another term for a sprain. A sprain is an injury in which the ligaments that surround joints become stretched or torn, leading to pain and swelling. Since ligaments have very little blood flow, they heal very slowly. This is the reason why a sprained finger might remain swollen for many months after the initial injury. Most of the time, if the finger is still swollen, you just need to wait a bit longer as things do tend to get better eventually. However the fact that you say the finger is bent to the side is somewhat concerning, as it may indicate a serious ligament injury or a poorly healed finger fracture. Your primary care doctor can decide whether these possibilities need to be investigated.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons