Do I need a colostomy for diverticulosis if I had hemicolectomy?

I had 12 inch hemicolectomy of my descending colon. I have further problem in my ascending colon from bleeding due to diverticulosis.
Diverticulosis is a condition in which small outpouchings of the wall of the colon form, thought to be due to increased pressure within the walls of the intestine. This is a very common finding, especially in the older population, and unfortunately is a very common cause of lower gastrointestinal bleeding. On the one hand, sometimes a diverticular bleed is insignificant and resolves spontaneously without the need for further action. On the other hand, a diverticular bleed can be very serious and even life-threatening, requiring support with blood transfusions and occasionally an intervention such as arterial embolization by an interventional radiologist or removal of the affected segment by surgery. The decision about proceeding to surgery either during or after an episode of diverticular bleeding depends on many factors, including the duration/severity of bleeding, the risk of re-bleeding in the future, and the overall health of the patient and his/her suitability for surgery. It is strongly advised that you seek out the opinions of your doctors (such as your gastroenterologist and surgeon) to obtain further answers to all of your questions about the options available to you.

Other Gastroenterologists