Can I get a stomach transplant?

80% of my stomach was removed due to gastroparesis. I am nauseated most of the time. I have been losing weight due to being nauseated. Can they do a stomach transplant so that I can live a semi normal life again?
While many organs can be transplanted from one patient to another, stomach transplants are generally not done. This is because the stomach is considered a non-essential organ, meaning that a person can live without his or her stomach. When organs are transplanted, the person receiving the transplant must take medications (usually for the rest of his or her life) to suppress the immune system and prevent the body from attacking the foreign organ. These medications are not benign, and carry of the risk of increasing susceptibility for infection and certain types of cancer. As such, organs are transplanted when only deemed absolutely necessary to prolong life or improve quality of life when the benefits are thought to outweigh the risks. Even if it were possible that your stomach was restored back to normal, your nausea may not resolve. You should talk to your primary care physician, gastroenterologist, or the surgeon that performed your operation about your symptoms and the treatment options that are available.

Other Gastroenterologists