ZocdocAnswersWhy did I get black spots in my eyes?

Question

Why did I get black spots in my eyes?

I'm 15 and out of nowhere i got black spots in my eyes and i could barely see and my ears were full. it happened for about 30 seconds and i did not stand up fast i was standing when it happened. Can it be because i go to sleep late and wake up early or because i took a really hot shower like 20 minutes before it happened? I had it the second time already and i dont know whats causing this

Answer

You should discuss these symptoms with a doctor right away. There are several potential causes of these visual changes you describe, but the most likely is that you experienced some pooling of blood in the veins in your legs, leading to temporary disruption of the blood flow to your head. This causes black spots in front of the eyes, and it can also lead to dizziness or fainting in some cases. Although you are right that this typically occurs in people when they stand up quickly, it can also occur when you are stand still on your feet for a long time, as it sounds like you may have been. A long hot shower may also potentially lead to prolonged pooling of blood in your legs and could make the symptoms worse. When you go to see your doctor, they will be able to perform an examination to make sure that this is all that was going on and that your symptoms are not due to a more serious problem, such as a problem with your heart, although this seems very unlikely!