ZocdocAnswersWhy do my knees turn purple?

Question

Why do my knees turn purple?

I'm 16 years old and everytime i run, jump, or do any leg/knee exercises my knees tend to turn purple and they hurt extremly. ive seen many doctors and none have found the answer to my problem. Ive gotten xrays taken on my back and they told me i have disk buglia and scoliosis. My knee/leg pains have increased in the past year since i started crew and the doctors say i need to take a break from it but i want to know why my knees hurt more than my back/legs since the doctors dont know either.

Answer

The purple discoloration of your knees with exercise might not be related to the underlying pain. I say this because, when people exercise vigorously, sometimes the skin changes colors due to sweating and changes in blood flow and this should not in and of itself cause pain. However, the persistent pain in your knees definitely needs a more complete evaluation. If you have already seen your pediatrician, it might be time to get an opinion from a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedic doctor. It is possible that your scoliosis and your knee pain are related, as postural problems from the scoliosis, if it is severe, may cause mechanical imbalance that puts excess pressure on your knees. However, since you are very physically active, it is also possible that there is something going on in your knees themselves. One common knee condition in your age group is something called Osgood Schlatter disease, although other conditions, including "Runner's Knee," are also very common. A sports medicine or orthopedic doctor should be able to perform a thorough examination and help you figure out what is going on. They may prescribe physical therapy or specialized exercises to help you start feeling better!