ZocdocAnswersWhen I hold my head down and eyes closed I get dizzy?

Question

When I hold my head down and eyes closed I get dizzy?

I feel as if I will faint or the room is spinning. Or if I have my eyes closed I can't raise my hands for it feels the same way.

Answer

Having a sensation of dizziness with changes in position is a relatively common problem. For example, if you have your head in a position lower than the rest of your body, you may have a sudden increase in blood flow to the brain that causes a sensation of dizziness. On the other hand, if you suddenly stand up, you may have rapid pooling of blood in the legs and a decrease in blood flow to the brain, which can also cause dizziness. The solution to these symptoms is to avoid these extremes in position and to avoid standing rapidly when changing position. Another cause of dizziness with changes in head position is something called benign positional vertigo, which is caused by small position sensing stones in the inner ear getting "stuck." This form of dizziness is usually more severe than the kind of dizziness provoked simply by blood pooling, as the sensation of "spinning" is usually more pronounced. I suggest that you see your primary care doctor about the issue, especially if the symptoms are persisting. They will be able to figure out if your symptoms come from one of these common, and relatively benign, causes, or if there is something potentially more serious going on that needs further investigation.