ZocdocAnswersIs lasik safe for people with very bad vision?

Question

Is lasik safe for people with very bad vision?

I have a marked degree of myopia and astigmatism. is corrective eye surgery viable for me? i'm a 55 year old man,in good health.

Answer

LASIK surgery, as you know, is an increasingly popular procedure for permanent correction of vision problems. The procedure has been around quite a while now and, for most patients, it is a safe and excellent option for definitive vision correction. However, there are several factors that impact the success of the LASIK procedure. The procedure works best for patients who have relatively minimal nearsightedness (myopia). Good outcomes from the procedure are much less easy to predict for people who have severe myopia and also for those who have astigmatism. The combination of bad myopia and astigmatism in the same eye is a set up for the least predictable outcomes. Therefore, the answer to your question is that it depends largely on how bad your myopia and astigmatism is. What I would suggest is that you have a formal evaluation by your eye doctor or by an eye surgeon. They will be able to measure your degree of myopia and astigmatism. Based on these numbers, they will be able to provide you with a more formal estimate of whether or not the procedure is likely to be successful for you. Make an appointment with your eye doctor at your earliest convenience, and good luck!