ZocdocAnswersI'm 5'4 and 155 pounds but eat very little and healthy. Why am I so heavy?

Question

I'm 5'4 and 155 pounds but eat very little and healthy. Why am I so heavy?

Am I just prone to being heavy?. For the past year for medical reasons I only eat a plate of boiled vegetables a day, an apple, and a cup of tea but haven't lost weight and remain heavy.

Answer

As you may be aware, several studies have been conducted regarding obesity and excess weight. While genetic factors may play a role (some people are prone to obesity), environmental factors certainly contribute to overall body size and shape. These factors, among others, include diet (both the type of food and how much is ingested), and exercise. A person may eat well but not lose weight because his/her body's metabolic rate is low. A lack of exercise means that the body is not burning any extra calories, making it harder to expend more calories than one takes in. Your body mass index, or BMI, is calculated to be 26.6, within the category of overweight (25-29.9). As studies have shown that there are certain health risks tied to being overweight, it is definitely advised that you visit your primary care doctor to discuss your health. Your doctor can counsel you about proper diet and exercise routines, conduct a physical exam, and check appropriate lab tests. These tests may include screening for diabetes and high cholesterol, which occur at a higher rate in the overweight and obese population. Lastly, as a low thyroid level can sometimes contribute to weight gain, your doctor may choose to check your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone level to ensure that this is not the cause of your problems.