ZocdocAnswersI haven't had my period for three months, but I'm not sexually active. What is going on?

Question

I haven't had my period for three months, but I'm not sexually active. What is going on?

My period has stopped but i havent had sexual intercourse, and im freaking out, because i do have a fear of OBGYN's, but can you get cervical cancer from not being sexually active

Answer

This is an important issue to discuss with your OBGYN, Since you have had a period before, and now it is gone, you have secondary amenorrhea. The most common cause of this is pregnancy, so first and foremost it is important to rule this out, which can be done with a urine test that detects hCG. Secondary amenorrhea can also occur due to disruption of the hormone axis that starts in the brain and controls ovulation. This can be affected by stress, weight loss, excess exercise, and poor nutrition, among other things. Alterations in other hormones, such as Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and Prolactin, can also disrupt the normal ovulatory cycle. Abnormal menstrual cycles can also be caused by Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which may be suggested by a physical exam demonstrating excess hair and acne. It is certainly advised that you consult with your primary care doctor to discuss your questions about your period and cervical cancer. It is true that cervical cancer is linked to Human Papilloma Virus, which is sexually transmitted, but fortunately there are accurate screening tests that can be done to rule out cancer (Pap smears). Your doctor can help you figure out the cause of your amenorrhea through a proper medical history, physical exam, and laboratory tests.