ZocdocAnswersInconsistent period?

Question

Inconsistent period?

I only have my period once every 2 months-I am not pregnant-and not sexually active. Why does this happen? Nothing else is wrong-I'm not sick, and I throw in track.

Answer

I would strongly suggest that you see your OB GYN or primary care doctor about this issue. Any irregular or inconsistent periods should be investigated to make sure they are not being caused by a treatable medical condition. One possibility, since you mention that you participate in track, is that in some extremely fit female athletes, the decrease in body fat and constant exercising can actually depress the body's estrogen (female hormone) levels, leading to irregular periods. This can sometimes be a problem, because it can have negative effects on bone health. Another possibility, much more common, is a condition known as polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is caused by an imbalance in the levels of the sex hormones in the blood stream, leading to "missed" ovulations. This condition is usually associated with being overweight, but it can also sometimes occur in slender people. If diagnosed with this condition, the treatment generally is oral contraceptive pills to help regulate the menstrual cycle. Start by making an appointment with your OB GYN doctor at your earliest convenience. They can perform a full physical examination, and they may also ask for some additional testing, such as an ultrasound of the uterus and ovaries or basic blood work.