Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is this possibly ring worm?"

ZocdocAnswersIs this possibly ring worm?


It looks like small bumps in a oval shape kind of looks like a razor burn on one of my legs and it is only in a small part...


I suggest that you show this area of skin to your primary care doctor or to your dermatologist. Ringworm is a fungal infection of the skin caused by one of several different types of fungus that are commonly picked up from the environment. Ringworm does tend to cause a circular looking area of rash, usually with a central clear area. The rash tends to be itchy and scaly. If this is what your rash looks like, then ringworm is definitely a possibility. However, there are several other types of skin rash that will need to be rule out. Among these, eczema, which is a condition in which the skin becomes dried out and irritated, and contact dermatitis, in which the skin becomes inflamed after coming into contact with some substance, are both high on the list. It is important to differentiate between ringworm and contact dermatitis or eczema, because the former is treated with an anti fungal medication whereas the latter two require steroid medications. If you apply steroid medications to ringworm it will often get worse. Start, therefore, with a quick trip to your doctor's office, as they will be able to confirm the diagnosis and prescribe the appropriate treatment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.