ZocdocAnswersI had light bleeding after sex - should I get checked?

Question

I had light bleeding after sex - should I get checked?

I havent had sex in 6 months, and i have the Mierena (iud) so i no longer have periods, and there was light blood in my panties. I went to the restroom and there was a little blood in the toilet after i urinated. do you think he tore me ? what should i do?

Answer

This is a good issue to discuss with your doctor. The mucosal lining of the vagina is very delicate and, with vigorous sexual intercourse, it can be damaged. Usually the damage is quite minor, more like an abrasion than a true tear. With this, there may be a bit of discomfort and some light spotting, but this should clear up quickly. If you have severe pain or lots of bleeding, or if the spotting does not stop, then these may be signs of a true vaginal tear, or laceration, and this would be a medical emergency that would require going to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor right away. Your primary care doctor can also give you additional advice on how to make sexual intercourse more comfortable. This might include using a personal lubricant on a regular basis to provide additional protection to the vaginal lining.