ZocdocAnswersWhy is my tongue inflamed?

Question

Why is my tongue inflamed?

my top of my tongue is white and it has a red tip on it that really hurts. what is it ? Its all whit little red dot on it which really hurts can't find nothing to help it .

Answer

I strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this right away! They can take a look at your tongue and figure out whether this is an infection or other condition that needs medical treatment. Given the description of your tongue as "white with red dots" one possibility is that this is thrush, which is a yeast infection in the mouth. This usually occurs in people who have immune suppression, but it can also occur in otherwise healthy people, for example after a course of antibiotics for another infection. If this turns out to be thrush, then it can easily be treated with an anti fungal medication prescribed by your doctor. Another possible cause of your symptoms would be a burn to your tongue, which would typically occur from ingestion food or beverages that are too hot. Although this tends to get better on its own, your doctor could give you medication for the pain and inflammation. Finally, there is a condition called glossitis, which is inflammation of the tongue usually caused by one of several vitamin or nutritional deficiencies, including iron deficiency. Diagnosis of this usually requires blood tests to look at the levels of iron and other vitamins. See your primary care doctor today!