ZocdocAnswersIs there a certain point when Cymbalta no longer helps fibromyalgia?

Question

Is there a certain point when Cymbalta no longer helps fibromyalgia?

I started taking Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia and at first it really helped, but a year has gone by and I am hurting just as bad as I did a year ago.

Answer

I recommend that you make an appointment to see your primary care doctor about this issue - or your rheumatologist, if your fibromyalgia is being treated by a specialist. As you probably know, the pain and other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia are complex and multifactorial. Therefore, if your pain symptoms are coming back after a long remission, then it is time for a full medical check up to help figure out what might be different now. Cymbalta and other medications like it are often used in the treatment of fibromyalgia, and they can be effective for some people. Sometimes, a tolerance to the medication does build up, and this can require increasing the dosage in order to have a good effect. On the other hand, sometimes adding a different medication or changing to a different medication entirely might be the way your doctor decides to go. It is also important to pay attention to the life style factors that influence fibromyalgia, such as sleep, exercise, diet and stress. If any of these factors have gotten out of balance in the last year, then the worsening of your symptoms might be more related to this than to the medication no longer working. Again, please see your doctor soon.