ZocdocAnswersWhy is the bottom of my tongue red and swollen?

Question

Why is the bottom of my tongue red and swollen?

It feels like its burning all the time. I bit the inside of my lip on accident and what i think is a cancer sore/cold sore has formed. I have been rinsing my mouth with colgate peroxyle mouth wash about 3 times a day and instead of the sore getting better it has got worse. Also a sore on my left cheek has formed and the bottom of my tongue is now red and swollen.(my tongue has teeth imprints on it from being to large for my mouth) My tongue always has this burning sensation and i just want someone to tell me what i have and how i can treat it. please help and thank you

Answer

I strongly recommend that you go to see a doctor about this issue immediately. The first serious medical problem that needs to be ruled out whenever there is tongue swelling is something called angioedema. This is condition in which the tongue and other soft tissues of the face and airway swell, most often due to an allergy although there are also genetic non-allergic cases of angioedema. Angioedema needs to be recognized and treated, because it can potentially be deadly if the swelling in the mouth and throat makes it difficult to breath. If you can't get in to see your regular doctor right away and if you are having any trouble breathing then you should go to an emergency room for immediate evaluation. Assuming that angioedema is ruled out, then your doctor will be able to figure out what is going on with the multiple sores in your mouth, which could be canker sores but could also be herpes virus sores or another viral infection in the mouth. If you have multiple sores like this, this could be the cause of your tongue swelling and pain. Additionally, the frequent use of a mouth wash may be irritating the sores and making them worse. Go see a doctor immediately!