ZocdocAnswersI am having pains at the top part of my tummy - why?

Question

I am having pains at the top part of my tummy - why?

no fever or vomiting and have no appetite. it had started yesturday moring when i woke up

Answer

There are several different potential causes of stomach pain, and you should get the help of your primary care doctor to figure this out, especially if the pain is severe or persistent. A very common cause of abdominal pain is a viral infection like influenza. This can begin with some mild abdominal discomfort but may progress to include vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea, or fever. Also some respiratory and throat infections can also cause stomach pain. In addition to common infections, pain in the upper part of the stomach may be related to an irritation of the stomach, called gastritis, or to heartburn. More severe upper abdominal pain may be related to an inflammation of the pancreas or gallstones in the gall bladder. Your primary care doctor can perform an examination of your abdomen and help you determine whether this is a mild form of stomach pain that doesn't require any specific treatment or whether this is something potentially serious that requires additional workup. If your doctor feels additional workup is needed, this might include an ultrasound of the abdomen or basic bloodwork. Based on what these tests show, your doctor will be able to recommend the appropriate treatment for you. Please see your doctor soon.