ZocdocAnswersCould I be pregnant if period is light and short?

Question

Could I be pregnant if period is light and short?

I spotted brown then started a light period which lasted 2 days when it usually is heavy and last 5 days could I be pregnant?and I have been trying to get pregnant too

Answer

There are several reasons that you could have had a light or irregular period. The most likely is that this is just a chance occurrence, as unusual periods do occur from time to time in most women. Another possibility is that you might have had a very early pregnancy that end in miscarriage at just a few days after conception, long before you could have known you were pregnant. This type of miscarriage can be enough to make your periods irregular although it might not be large enough yet to cause significant cramping or bleeding. Spotting can also occur with a pregnancy early on, and it look just as you describe - light and intermittent and much less bleeding (in both quantity and time) then you see with a period. If you are pregnant, then spotting is often a concerning sign, because it usually indicates that you are at risk of having a miscarriage. I suggest that you talk to your OB GYN doctor about this issue, especially if the spotting or irregular periods continue. In addition to some questions and a physical examination, they may want to perform a pregnancy test to investigate whether you are or have recently been pregnant.