ZocdocAnswersWhat causes discoloration and itching underneath the breast?

Question

What causes discoloration and itching underneath the breast?

Does the material of my bra cause this?

Answer

It is certainly possible that this discoloration and itching could be from the material of your bra. For example, this could be irritation of the skin from excessive sweating under the bra. It could also be a contact dermatitis, or allergic reaction to something in your bra (either the material or, more likely, a soap or laundry detergent that you are using). On the other hand, this could also be a fungal infection. Yeast infections under the breasts are quite common, because this is a dark and moist environment that is really ideal for growth of these organisms. I suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. It turns out the the rashes from contact dermatitis or skin irritation and from yeast infections look quite different from each other, and your doctor should be able to quickly figure out which this is. It is important to know, because the treatments are different. For example, a yeast infection would be treated with a topical anti fungal cream in most cases, whereas contact dermatitis would require a topical steroid cream to clear up. Please make an appointment with your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience.