search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have blurry vision after waking up?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have blurry vision after waking up?

Question

when i wake up after a nap or night sleep i cant see

Answer

The most common reason for blurry vision after waking up from sleep (assuming this gets better after a few minutes) is having some dried out tear secretions floating around on the surface of the eye. This happens in most people, and is part of the reason that many people "rub their eyes" when they wake up; they are trying (unconsciously most likely) to clear up their vision by removing these secretions. Another common cause would be eye allergies, or allergic conjunctivitis. Allergic conjunctivitis symptoms (itching, burning, watering, and redness of the eyes) are often worse when getting up from sleeping, especially if the person is allergic to dust, mold or mites, as these tend to be concentrated in the mattress, blankets, and pillows. I would mention this problem to your primary care doctor or your eye doctor. They can check out your eyes and your vision to make sure there is nothing going on. If the symptoms of blurriness do not resolve during the day, or if you have other concerning symptoms such as floating spots or flashing lights before the eyes, then you need to see a doctor right away!

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances