Why does my vagina hurt when I have sex?

It feels as if someone is sticking a knife in me and slowly turning it when im having sex.
I strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about this issue right away. The first thing that they will want to do is make sure that there is not a medical problem underlying this pain with intercourse. There are several different medical problems that could be associated with pain with intercourse, including endometriosis, fibroids of the uterus, cysts in the ovaries, or infections of the cervix, vagina, or pelvic organs. Ruling out these conditions will require a physical examination, and it may also require additional testing, such as blood work or an ultrasound of the pelvis. If your doctor rules out all serious medical causes of this pain, then there are still a few possibilities to be thought about. One of these is vaginal dryness, or insufficient vaginal lubrication, which is probably the most common cause of pain with sexual intercourse. This condition can generally be remedied with lengthy foreplay or with use of a personal lubricant. Additionally, there is a condition called vaginismus, in which the vagina involuntarily contracts with sex, usually associated with prior bad sexual experiences or with a traumatic personal experience. Make an appointment with your doctor right away!

Other Psychiatrists