Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have been getting constant headaches. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have been getting constant headaches. What should I do?


I'm 17 and very healthy. About 2 weeks ago i have been getting constand aches that come with Drowseyness..I would get so tired i would only make it to my bed and i was out for 3 hours...and ill still be tired when it came to me going to bed. I would also get nauseated/ stomach pains. I started to dirnk lots more water thinking iwas getting dehydrated but it wouldnt go away. I wouldnt now when it was comeing or when it would go away. Ibprofne wouldnt help nor head ache pills.


You need to see your pediatrician or your family doctor right away to help figure out what is going on. Any persistent headache like this needs to be evaluated, both to ensure adequate treatment and also to make sure nothing serious is going on. Your doctor will perform a complete physical examination, because they will first want to rule out rare but serious causes of headache, such as a brain tumor. Assuming the physical examination is relatively normal, then there are several common types of headaches that your doctor will consider. This include both tension headaches and migraine headaches. Additionally, headaches can be associated with nasal allergies or sinus congestion. Finally, there is a type of headache called analgesic headache which is, interestingly enough, caused by taking lots of medication for headache! Based on what your doctor discovers, they will recommend treatment. If the headache is caused by migraine or tension headache, they will be able to prescribe the appropriate medication to prevent or relieve your symptoms. If the headache is from allergies or sinus congestion, they can prescribe medications to help open up your nasal passages and drain your sinuses. Please make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.