ZocdocAnswersNo period for 3 years - why?

Question

No period for 3 years - why?

I am sexually active and have not seen my period for 3 years am 18 and would love to know what i should do

Answer

You definitely need to go see your OB GYN doctor right away! By the time you are 18 years old, your periods should be relatively regular, so there is almost certainly something going on that should be evaluated and, potentially, treated. First, your doctor will want to evaluate you for something called polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is probably the most common cause of missed periods or menstrual irregularity. This is a condition in which imbalances in hormones lead to frequent cycles in which an egg is not released from the ovary; therefore, menstruation does not occur regularly. The condition is more common in those who are overweight or obese, but it can also occur in people who have a normal weight. Second, your doctor will want to make sure that you do not have any signs of ovarian insufficiency, meaning that the ovaries are not producing the levels of female hormones that they should. Usually this can be figure out quickly by giving a medication to induce menstruation; if menstruation occurs with the medication, then the ovaries are working. If not, additional testing, including blood work, will probably be necessary. Go see your OB GYN doctor as soon as you possibly can.