Click to book now:

What do bumps on my fingernails indicate?

About two months ago I began experiencing a very high amount of finger trauma to my left hand, from bending the nail backwards to having splinters wedged under the nail bed. Now the nails are growing back with good sized lumps or raised bumps primarily in the center. At first I thought it was just the trauma, now i think it might be something more serious since the nails on my right hand are beginning to do the same thing. The only illness I've been diagnosed with is hypothyroid and an allergy to bees,
I would definitely schedule a visit with your dermatologist or your primary care doctor about this issue. They can take a look at your nails and help you figure out what is going on. There are several different causes of bumps in the nails. By far, the most common is trauma to the nails or to the nail bed. Therefore, the fact that you had a lot of trauma to the nails on the left hand would be consistent with developing bumps there. However, the fact that they are on your right hand also is a bit inconsistent, unless you also perhaps had some minor trauma to your right hand (for example tapping or pressure on the nails or cuticles?) which you paid no attention to because the left hand trauma was more intense. Also, I bet that your doctor will want to check your thyroid medication dose and thyroid hormone blood levels, as changes in these could affect your nail growth and lead to bumps. Finally, there are a few other medical conditions that can cause bumps, such as psoriasis, which is in inflammatory condition affecting the skin and nails. Make an appointment for a check up with your doctor at your earliest convenience!

Nearby Dermatologists