ZocdocAnswersIs this a cold sore, acne or POD?

Question

Is this a cold sore, acne or POD?

I went to surf in the ocean on a sunny day and got back home with facial burn and my lips got so red. A day after that i got a red bump, looks like small acne after drank 4 bottles of beer near my upper left lip, and now there is 3-4 small bump near in the same area. Moreover, When i touch my chin i can feel that there is a 1 cm. of bump underneath my chin, between sublingual gland and sub mandible gland. I used to have a hyper thyroid back in 2006-2009. I am not really sure what is really happen to me.

Answer

I suggest that you go to see your dermatologist or your primary care doctor about this issue as soon as possible. They should be able to help you figure out what might be going on, but they will need to examine the rash up close in order to do so. I think that cold sores, acne, and perioral dermatitis (POD) are all possible causes here. Cold sores tend to be more painful than either acne or perioral dermatitis. Additionally, this could be a blistering reaction of the skin from the sunburn that you got when you were outside surfing all day. Additionally, the possibility that this reflects some sort of infection of the skin, such as impetigo, needs to be considered. The soft lump that you are feeling under your chin is probably a swollen lymph node. This would go along with a skin infection, since the lymph nodes in this area would be involved in fighting off an infection around the mouth. Go see your doctor! Based on what they find with the physical examination, they will be able to recommend the necessary treatment, which might include one of several different topical medications or, if you have a serious skin infection, oral antibiotics.