ZocdocAnswersCould Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome skip a generation?

Question

Could Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome skip a generation?

My grandfather passed away with this and i am 29 years old and a 9 year old son. I have heart problems and this really concerns me.

Answer

Wolf Parkinson White (WPW) syndrome, as you know most likely, is a condition in which a rhythm problem can develop in the heart that can lead to palpitations and, occasionally, death as occurred in your grandfather's case. WPW is a relatively common heart condition, affecting approximately 1 in 1000 people. However, almost all cases of WPW are not genetically inherited. A small subset of cases of WPW are inherited; however, these cases are inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion, meaning that they occur in every generation and do not skip generations. Nevertheless, I do suggest that you talk with both your own cardiologist and also with your son's pediatrician about your personal heart history and also your family history of WPW. They will be able to help you figure out whether or not this is something that you need to worry about in your son's future. For example, they can help you decide whether your son requires any special testing at this time, or whether he might in the future. They can also help you make decisions about whether he should be allowed to participate in sports as he grows up. Again, please talk to your doctors, who will be able to answer your questions.