ZocdocAnswersMy penis hurts and is sore why?

Question

My penis hurts and is sore why?

The past few days my penis has been sore and hurts towards the bottom. I had a zit on the side of it, and I squeezed on it, and got it swelled, then it was red and puffy around the zit. Now the zit is going away but, its still hurts towards the bottom, I couldn't have intercourse because it hurt.. What could it be? NO I don't have any STDS and neither does my partner.

Answer

It would be worth having your primary care doctor take a look at this, especially because the pain has been going on for several days now and is persistent. As you probably know, pimples and other minor skin infections can occur anywhere on the body, even on the penis. The fact that a larger area of skin on the penis became red and swollen after you squeezed the pimple suggests, however, that the infection may have actually worsened, spreading through the surrounding skin. This type of spreading infection in the skin is known as cellulitis. In addition to pain, redness, and swelling, the involved skin is also usually warm to the touch. Cellulitis can be quite serious because many times it will continue to spread unless antibiotics are taken to get the infection under control. Your doctor will be able to examine the involved area of skin and help figure out whether or not this is cellulitis or another form of worsening infection. If so, they will be able to prescribe the necessary antibiotics to help get things under control as quickly as possible. Very serious cases of cellulitis may require hospitalization for intravenous antibiotics. Contact your doctor as soon as possible.