ZocdocAnswersAre multiple cyst on your ovaries a sign of cancer post hysterectomy?

Question

Are multiple cyst on your ovaries a sign of cancer post hysterectomy?

I had my uterus and cervix removed in 2010 now I have muliple cyst on both ovaries, I can barely stand or walk due to pressure and pain in my back, hips and pelvic area.

Answer

Ovarian cysts are a very common problem encountered by many women. In the vast majority of cases, an ovarian cyst is a benign entity that will either go away on its own and does not represent any early form of cancer. However this is not always the case. Since you had your uterus removed, these cysts could not be something like endometriosis, which is a common benign cause of multiple ovarian cysts and low back pain. If you are pre-menopausal, then these cysts could represent the so called functional cysts that form as a result of your period. These don't tend to cause back pain and pelvic pain. I think that the best thing for you to do is have an evaluation of these cysts to make sure that they are not cancer. The approach to this is different for different OBGYNs, but many would consider a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis to look for evidence of ovarian cancer. A blood test for CA 125 may be warranted as this can be elevated in ovarian cancer. Finally, a biopsy of one of these cysts may be done to see what they contain. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an OBGYN for further evaluation of your cysts.