ZocdocAnswersWhat if I fall during my pregnancy?

Question

What if I fall during my pregnancy?

I fell pretty hard on my bottom and i was just concerned for the baby.

Answer

It is natural to feel concerned about the well being of your baby whenever you fall or bump into something. The only way to know for certain is to have someone examine you and your baby (via ultrasound) to make sure. With that said, I will say that most of the time when someone falls and does not strike the lower abdomen (or directly where the baby is), most of the time the baby is fine. The uterus and amnionic fluid (that the baby sits in) are made to absorb small amounts of shock. Likely your baby was only woken from a sleep and nothing more. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can examine your abdomen to look for any obvious signs of trauma. In addition, you can have a pelvic exam to look for any signs of bleeding which would suggest more trauma than you seem to be describing. Finally, your doctor will want to get a Doppler ultrasound which is designed to track your baby's heart rate. This is the final indicator that the baby is doing well. Good luck.