ZocdocAnswersWhy won't my yeast infection go away?

Question

Why won't my yeast infection go away?

I was diagnosed with bv first and my Gyn prescribed me fluconazole and metronidazole when I finished the treatment I still had discharge so I went back and she prescribed terconazole. I've been using it for six nights so far and at first it seemed to clear up but now the discharge is back...I still have one more dose left

Answer

If your doctor prescribed you both fluconazole and metronidazole (Flagyl), that means that he/she did not know what you had. If a yeast infection was suspected, then fluconazole would have been the appropriate treatment. If bacterial vaginosis (or BV) was suspected, the Flagyl would have been the appropriate treatment. My guess is that you neither. What you need to do is have a test for other possible causes of discharge. What you should be tested for depends largely on some other factors For example, If you are sexually active, then you should probably be tested for an treated for gonorrhea infection and chlamydia infection. These can both cause discharge and would not be helped by fluconazole or Flagyl. This doesn't sound like a yeast infection, because you've had two courses of anti-fungal medication without resolution of your symptoms. If it is BV, then perhaps the one course of Flagyl was not enough. BV does have a tendency to come back, but does usually go away for some time before showing its face again. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN. He or she can perform a pelvic exam and obtain a sample of the discharge for analysis under the microscope. This is the only way to figure out for sure what you have.