ZocdocAnswersNegative blood test but I feel pregnant.?

Question

Negative blood test but I feel pregnant.?

For the last few weeks I have been feeling very bloated especially after I eat. I feel hungry all the time and for the past week my breast have been sore. I also have lower back pain and I keep getting this fluttery feeling in my abdomen. I have also had cramps a few days. This month I got my period BUT it was only 2 days which had never happened to me. I went to the doctor a few days ago and had a blood pregnancy test that came back negative. Could I still be pregnant or what else could be causing all these symptoms?

Answer

Blood tests are very accurate for detecting pregnancy, especially if it has been a week or so since conception. Therefore, assuming that you performed the blood test more than 1 week after having the unusual period, it is very unlikely that you are pregnant. If the test was performed within this 1 week window, then it is sometimes worthwhile repeating it just to make sure. There are many other causes of your symptoms other than pregnancy. For example, the combination of menstrual irregularity (you had an unusual period), bloating, cramping, and abdominal pain could all be caused by a condition like endometriosis. Polycystic ovarian syndrome could also cause some of these symptoms. And the potential causes here are not limited just to issues with the reproductive organs. For example, bad or chronic constipation is a very common cause of bloating and abdominal pain. I suggest that you go back to see your primary care doctor again, especially if the symptoms persist or worsen. They can perform a complete physical examination, looking for potential causes of your symptoms. Based on what they find they can help you decide whether or not additional work up or treatment is needed at this time. Good luck!