ZocdocAnswersWill painkiller cause me to fail a drug test?

Question

Will painkiller cause me to fail a drug test?

I have a drug test in 3 days i just tylenol for my period cramps will my drug test fail?

Answer

Drug tests are done for various reasons. Sometimes they are done to make sure that patients are not abusing any drugs that are not prescribed to them, and/or are not using any illicit substances. In other cases, drug tests are done to confirm that patients prescribed chronic narcotic medications are using their medications as prescribed. Tylenol screens are an important test in certain circumstances, such as in patients presenting with concerns for overdose or liver disease. Tylenol is not considered a controlled substance, and it is available over-the-counter and without need for a prescription. As such, your drug test will most likely not be looking for a Tylenol level, and even if it does detect the Tylenol, this will not negatively reflect upon you. The assays for the drug levels that are controlled (such as oxycodone, cocaine, marijuana) are very sensitive and specific, and should not be interfered with by the use of Tylenol for your cramping. If you have any questions about your testing or your use of Tylenol, you should consult with your primary care physician.