ZocdocAnswersHave a heterogenous uterus w/3 fibroids . What should I do?

Question

Have a heterogenous uterus w/3 fibroids . What should I do?

Fibroid 1 is 30mm x 24mm x 36mm in size on the left lateral wall and all of them are intramural. Fibroid 2 is 13mm x 14mm x 15mm on the posterior. Final fibroid 3 is 16mm x 17mm x 18mm on the right lateral wall. My endometrium is thickened and irregular measuring 14.7 mm and has fluid in the cavity measuring 5x4x8mm.

Answer

Fibroids are a very common type of benign tumor that arrises from the muscular outer wall of the uterus. Because they have almost no risk of becoming malignant, fibroids are typically left alone unless they are causing symptoms. The typical symptoms that fibroids cause are heavy menstrual bleeding. If your periods are typically very heavy and/or last longer than they should, then this could be because of your fibroids. If this has caused you to become anemic (typically from iron deficiency), then you may require treatment of your fibroids or at least iron supplementation. Regarding the endometrial stripe, the thickness is most likely only concerning if you are postmenopausal. If you are young, then it is possible that your endometrium was measured mid-late cycle when it is the thickest. If you are postmenopausal, then the, this could be representative of endometrial cancer. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can review your recent ultrasound finding and put that into the context of your symptoms. If you are having heavy periods and/or pelvic pain, and your are done having kids, then you could consider having a hysterectomy. If still want to have kids, and you aren't have those symptoms, you could consider just letting them go. Good luck.