Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What's this thin clear/white patch on the inside corner of my bottom lip?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat's this thin clear/white patch on the inside corner of my bottom lip?


I have a HORRIBLE habbit of bitting my lips and ill focus on one area and ill make the skin irritated, so when i felt this uncomfortable feeling on what i thought was just my bottom lip was from me bitting my lips but when i saw this thin MORE SO CLEAR, then white, circle or oval, 'patch' on the inside corner of my bottom was some what of a surprise.. once i realised what the discomfort was it got irritated (it would rub against my tooth) My first reaction i thought maybe i bit it there .. but then i realised its more likely to be a cancer sore.... :( with that being said 1. Is there anything else that could be causing this? 2. if this is a CANCER SORE can you get them from someone with a cold sore? 3. Also when having a CANCER SORE can you spread it by making out or oral sex.. 4. Also how do you get rid of it?


It is still possible that the area you have discovered on your inside lip is related to some trauma to the area, either from the biting habit that you describe or from accidentally biting your lip while eating. These sores can take a while to heal because the tend to rub against the teeth and they also tend to become irritated again with eating. Another possibility is that this is a canker sore. Canker sores are painful ulcerated areas inside the mouth which have no clear cause, although they may sometimes be associated with stress. Canker sores are not contagious and they cannot be spread to another person. They are also not related to cold sores, which are caused by the herpes virus and are contagious. There is no particular treatment for most canker sores, as they tend to get better on their own over a few days to a week. Sometimes, pain medications are necessary and, in the most severe cases, other prescription medications may be indicated to help them heal more quickly. This is definitely an issue that you should talk to your primary care doctor about. They can examine the area in your mouth, confirm the diagnosis, and help you decide whether treatment is needed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.